Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  Links Links  Contact Contact
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Privacy Privacy & Policies
Treatments, Therapies and Alternative Medicine
 MS Discuss :Multiple Sclerosis Discussion Forum :Treatments, Therapies and Alternative Medicine
Message Icon Topic: Usana Products? Post Reply Post New Topic
xrgirl

Online Status: Offline
Quote xrgirl Replybullet Topic: Usana Products?
    Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 11:29pm
Hi
I am new to this forum.  I have not yet received a confirmed dx, but had a mild attack in April with numbness and weakness on my left side, a slight loss of balance that resolved completely in 8 days.

My MRI showed 9 lesions, but they have yet to confirm anything.  I guess I have to have another MR or another attack before they confirm??  Correct me if I am wrong.

Anyways, I have been all over the internet and have found that some MS patients are using a nutritional supplement called USANA. 

Has anyone heard of these or has any experience with them?  The people that are using the supplements swear they have increased energy and have helped reduce some symptoms such as loss of balance, drop foot and have given them a better quality of life and that they are packed with antioxidents that greatly reduce the amount of oxidative stress in the brain that nutritionists think could cause more inflammation or attacks.

I could be talking out my rear, since I don't really know a whole lot about MS

Any thoughts? 
IP IP Logged
Sallylou
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sallylou Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 11:50am
I am still new to MS as well, or relatively speaking.My first symptoms that I noticed were also the numbness on my right side. and some balance issues.  I had a first MRI that showed lesions, and a follow up MRI six months later.  I also had some further symptoms ie: bladder infections, extreme fatigue to name a few, but since I didnt really know that much about MS, I didnt realize that I had some more of the symptoms than I thought.  If that makes sense.  With all the symtoms I had, along with MRI's my neuro started me on copax. in December (8 months later). My MRI in Jan 11, showed a new lesion, and along with a mild relapse (spastic right arm), dxed me with remitting/relapsing ms.  I know some people use different remedies along with pres. to manage ms.  But I havent heard of USANA.  I did bump up vit D, which really helped.  and try to eat balanced meals, exercise etc.  Try and keep a journal, of how you are feeling, to help with the dx with your neuro.  Good luck.
IP IP Logged
xrgirl

Quote xrgirl Replybullet Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 3:27pm
Thanks Sally lou

I guess I was asking what nutritional/vitamin supplements have been recommended, if any.  Usana is just a brand.  I know my B12 was low, so I have started taking that.

The journal is a good idea.  Emotions are running high and I can't stand never knowing if/when I will have more symptoms.  So I have just decided to be a healthier person overall, diet & exercise.
IP IP Logged
Karen Barney

Quote Karen Barney Replybullet Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 2:37pm
I was diagnosed in 1981 and have tried many supplements to slow progression.   I feel like trying to be healthy has kept me doing fairly well, I am still walking after thirty years. I have been researching some more recently and am getting blood work done to find out food sensitivities. I am also going to try USANA because I have heard they are the best on a cellular level.Look for information on the MS recovery diet written by two ladies who have recovered from MS using diet.  I am encouraged by their stories because I want to get back to walking without the walker which I have had to use for the past year.
Karen
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version